so i was cleared to fly from nyc to houston (a 3.5 hour flight) by my doctor three weeks after surgery. i’m sure when you’re cleared to fly depends on your doctor, the amount of swelling, how far along you are in recovery, and how long the flight is. though it wasn’t the most pleasant thing, it really wasn’t too bad.
couple of tips that would have helped me:
- make sure the brace goes on and off easily. you have to take it off for security, and will want it off during the flight as well.
- look pathetic and ask for extra leg room. also ask for an aisle seat. though if its between leg room and aisle, go with aisle.
- make sure to walk around once every hour. so necessary to keep that knee extending and bending.
- there will be a bunch of swelling. be ready for it.
- get one of these reusable ice bags, and try to get it completely filled at a bar in the terminal before you board. some flight attendants dont like using their limited stock of ice on you, and will only give you a little.
- before you do anything when you land, give yourself 30 min or so at the hotel to get your swelling down.